The Resolution Foundation forecasts that over the next year, the fall in real incomes means that another 1.3 million people in the UK – including 500,000 children – will be pushed into poverty, taking the total number to 12.5 million.
As an organisation working with children and young people from low income families across London, we are already seeing the impact of what is now proven to be the worst cost of living crisis in three decades.
There has been a surge in demand across our food and activity programmes both during term time and school holiday periods. Parents are choosing between turning on the heating in their homes or topping up their Oyster Cards to travel to work or school. We have seen how the costs for learning equipment is out of reach for an increasing number of families.
This is only the beginning. This autumn, and as winter approaches, financial pressures on households will become even more intense.
Our ask is straightforward.
There are different ways in which you can help safeguard young Londoners:
- £12 will enable us to provide a healthy and nutritious recipe box for a family of four
- £50 will provide one young person will unlimited access to careers advice and guidance
- £100 will provide food and activities for 20 young people for 1 day during the school holidays
- £130 will provide a school with resources to improve numeracy
- £250 will provide a healthy meal and activities for 10 children for 5 days during the school holidays